Here’s our regular listing of films being shown in English and other original foreign languages, and sometimes German with foreign partnerships, at Leipzig cinemas for this movie week. Although not dubbed, the movies often come with German or even English subtitles, so you might still be able to access the film if you don’t know the language being spoken.
This movie week overlaps with the beginning of DOK Leipzig, the city’s big international documentary film fest. It’s very fascinating stuff, mostly in the original with English subtitles, which makes it even better, doesn’t it? 😉 We will not list their movies here as we have already written and posted a guide, which you’re encouraged to check out.
Separately, a documentary on Malala, the girl who spoke out against the Taliban, survived a violent attack and proceeded to win last year’s Nobel Peace Prize, will be playing Thursday-Monday at Passage Kinos.
I just went to see the movie featuring Johnny Depp and playing in town in the original, Black Mass. It’s still playing this movie week (Monday) at Schauburg, this cool, old-school movie theater in the Plagwitz area, if you’d like to watch it. Unfortunately, I was too distracted by Johnny’s overly fake eye and hair setup and makeup to be able to give a fair assessment on his acting or overall quality of the movie. I can say that it was, however, very violent, which offered of course a very stark contrast to the instances of family tenderness by the South Boston kingpin he plays. It’s based on true events. But did he really have to have those vampiric blue contacts on?
In other news: Regina Palast, which offers movies in the original version each Monday at 8 p.m., this time is playing the horror film Crimson Peak. The director is the Mexican Guillermo del Toro, who has an interesting track record, but whose Pan’s Labyrinth was definitely remarkable.
Now, before we start… what the labels here (and elsewhere movie-related in Germany) mean: OmU – Original with German subtitles; OmeU – Original with English subtitles; OF – Original film; OV – Original version; Im Original – In the original and often 3D.
Opening this week in the original language version:
- Malala – Documentary, biography, politics | USA 2015 | Director: Davis Guggenheim | English, OmU
Thu 22.10, Fri 23.10, Sat 24.10, Sun 25.10, Mon 26.10 @ 17:00
“A look at the events leading up to the Talibans’ attack on the young Pakistani school girl, Malala Yousafzai, for speaking out on girls’ education and the aftermath, including her speech to the United Nations.” MORE FROM IMDB
- A Perfect Day – Drama | Spain 2015 | Director: Fernando León de Aranoa | English, OmU
Sat 24.10 @ 22:45
Mon 26.10 @ 20:00
A group of aid workers collaborates to resolve a crisis in an armed conflict zone. There is some humor too. With Benicio del Toro, Tim Robbins. MORE FROM IMDB
- Almost Friends [Linor and Samar] – Documentary | Israel 2014 | Directors: Nitzan Ofir, Barak Heymann | Hebrew, OmeU
Tue 27.10 @ 19:30
“Two girls meet through a digital educational project. Samar’s father comes from the (Palestinian) Occupied Territories. Linor’s family was evacuated from a Jewish settlement. Only 67 kilometers apart, yet an ideological gulf stands between them. The girls meet and an instant bond is struck. Nevertheless, reality overpowers the friendship.” MORE FROM IMDB
- The Walk – Biography, drama | USA 2015 | Director: Robert Zemeckis | English, Im Original, 3D
Sun 25.10 @ 20:00
“In 1974, high-wire artist Philippe Petit recruits a team of people to help him realize his dream: to walk the immense void between the World Trade Center towers.” MORE FROM IMDB
- Crimson Peak – Drama, Fantasy, Horror | USA 2015 | Director: Guillermo del Toro | English, OF
Mo 26.10 @ 20:00
“In the aftermath of a family tragedy, an aspiring author is torn between love for her childhood friend and the temptation of a mysterious outsider. Trying to escape the ghosts of her past, she is swept away to a house that breathes, bleeds – and remembers.” MORE FROM IMDB
- Imagine waking up tomorrow and all music has disappeared – Documentary, music | Director: Stefan Schwietert | Germany, Switzerland, UK 2015 | English OmU
Thu 22.10, Fri 23.10, Sat 24.10, Mon 26.10, Wed 28.10 @ 20:00
“Imagine waking up tomorrow and all music has disappeared. Just like that. What will remain when it is all gone: Cd’s, iPod’s, instruments?” MORE FROM IMDB
Features continuing this week:
Cineding: Asynchron – Dokumentar- und Experimentalfilme zum Holocaust
- Dark Lullabies – Documentary, history | Canada 1985 | Director: Irene Angelico, Abby Neidik | English, OmU
Wed 21.10 @ 20:00
“Dark Lullabies is a film about a generation possessed by a history in which it played no part. The filmmaker, Irene Lilienheim Angelico, brilliantly explores the impact of the Holocaust on a generation of Jews and Germans born after the war. Now, years later, many children of the survivors feel deeply affected by their parents’ ordeal, just as their German contemporaries live with a burden of guilt, or often denial, about the crimes of their parents’ generation.” MORE FROM DLI PRODUCTIONS
- Hockney – Documentary, biography | Britain, USA 2014 | Director: Randall Wright | English, OmU
Wed 21.10 @ 16:45
“‘Hockney’ is the definitive exploration of one of the most significant artists of his generation. For the first time, David Hockney has given access to his personal archive of photographs and film, resulting in an unparalleled visual diary of a long life… His is a long-term one-man campaign against the pessimism of the world, mastering new media – whether acrylic paint or iPad digits – in the search for a picture adequate to his sense of what it is to be alive.” MORE FROM BBC
- Sicario – Action, crime, drama | USA 2015 | Director: Dennis Villeneuve | English, OmU READ REVIEW
Wed 21.10 @ 18:45
“An idealistic FBI agent is enlisted by an elected government task force to aid in the escalating war against drugs at the border area between the U.S. and Mexico.” With Emily Blunt, Benicio del Toro, Josh Brolin. MORE FROM IMDB
- Black Mass – Biography, crime, drama | USA 2015 | Director: Scott Cooper | English, OmU
Mon 26.10 @ 20:00
“The true story of Whitey Bulger, the brother of a state senator and the most infamous violent criminal in the history of South Boston, who became an FBI informant to take down a Mafia family invading his turf.” With Johnny Depp. MORE FROM IMDB
- Trudno byt bogom [Es ist schwer, ein Gott zu sein] – Sci-fi, experimental film | Russia 2013 | Director: Alexej German | Russian, OmU
Schaubühne Lindenfels: Kleine Reihe: Dystopia Made In Russia
Sun 24.10 @ 19:00
“A group of scientists is sent to the planet Arkanar to help the local civilization, which is in the Medieval phase of its own history, to find the right path to progress. Their task is a difficult one: they cannot interfere violently and in no case can they kill.” MORE FROM IMDB
- Mita Tova [Am Ende ein Fest] – Comedy, drama | Israel, Germany 2014 | Director: Sharon Maymon, Tal Granit | Hebrew, OmU
Thu 22.10, Fri 23.10, Sat 24.10 @ 19:00
- Amy – Biography, documentary, music | Britain 2015 | Director: Asif Kapadia | English, Omu
Sat 24.10 @ 16:30
- Hip Hop-eration – Documentary, music | New Zealand, USA 2014 | Director: Bryn Evans | English, OmU
Sat 24.10 @ 19:00, Wed 28.10 @ 17:00
- Life – Biography, Drama | Canada, Germany, Australia, USA 2015 | Director: Anton Corbijn | English, OmU
Thu 22.10, Fri 23.10, Sat 24.10, Tue 27.10, Wed 28.10 @ 22:00
- L’Chaim – Auf das Leben! – Documentary, history | Germany, Netherlands, Israel, France, Belgium 2014 | Director: Elkan Spiller | German, OmU
Thu 22.10 @ 22:00
- Manuscripts Don’t Burn – Drama | Iran 2014 | Director: Mohammad Rasoulof | Persian, OmU
Wed 21.10 @ 22:00
For movies playing in Leipzig also dubbed in German, visit Player:Web.