Over 300 people visited the 3rd Leipzig Glocal Job Fair on November 26th, hosted at the beautiful Werk 2 in Connewitz. The attendees had a chance to meet, face to face, representatives from 26 Leipzig-based companies and organizations. Here are the main takeaways from the job fair, in case you want to know more.
Leipzig has plenty of talent to offer
The most important component of our career fair are all the talented, diverse attendees coming to look for new and better job opportunities. We know that 80% of visitors were there precisely for that purpose, thanks to a statistically representative survey carried out onsite. The other 20% came to network, with some even enjoying a beer at the Werk 2 bar.
One job fair attendee described his experience in the job fair thus:
I visited all the stands and took a bunch of emails. There’s so much engagement, people chatting with exhibitors all the time, different from other job fairs where people just browse and move along.
Our job fair attendees had training or work experience in mostly five career fields.
The main one was management and administration, with about 34% of the attendees have indicated they had training or experience in this field. The social sciences came in at a close second, representing about 32% of the job fair visitors surveyed. Marketing and communications made up the third career category, at about 29%, closely followed by the field of education and language training, at about 27%. Rounding out the list in fifth place, with about 20% of the job fair visitors, is the field of sales and business development.
Although attendees with IT or computer science backgrounds did not rank in the top five, about 15% of job fair visitors said that they had experience or training in this career field. That is not a low percentage at all, which made a lot of companies that attended the job fair very happy since many are looking for developers.
Plenty of companies want what our job fair attendees have got
More than two dozen international-minded companies came to the job fair to fill positions primarily in IT, sales, customer service, finance, and education. Some of these companies were new exciting startups such as eCommeleon, others established global players like Spreadshirt.
Many companies probably found the right match, with one HR manager saying:
We were very excited to have met a software engineer that is exactly the type of person we were looking for!
There were also several organizations supporting people in their way to reaching career goals, such as Techniker Krankenkasse, Welcome Centre Leipzig and Career Services of Leipzig University. A couple from Brazil had just moved to Leipzig the day of the job fair, and even though they were exhausted, they felt that they couldn’t miss it. They were very thankful to be able to connect with the Welcome Centre there and also to have the chance to begin grasping the city’s career landscape.
When informally surveyed, the majority of exhibitors said they would promptly return for our next job fair. Many of them, in fact, had been to the first and second events already and remarked that the variety, engagement and preparation of candidates in our job fairs tend to exceed what they experience when recruiting at other career fairs in Leipzig. Not to mention the difference in atmosphere…
Indeed, one crucial aspect that makes the LeipGlo job fairs special is the readiness of companies to look for a diversified workforce and to interact with people from all walks of life in a friendly manner. A fair job attendee described the way companies associated with people in these words:
At the LeipGlo Job fair, people [from the companies] reach out and talk to you. It makes for a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere, unlike many job interviews.
The venue, Werk 2, certainly helped to achieve a relaxed environment. The fact that it is located in a former factory and features a bar gives it a positively “Leipzig” spirit, setting the stage for a pleasant meeting between the old and the new, corporate and non-corporate.
The LeipGlo Team would like to thank all our helpers and partners, who made the job fair not only possible but also really special and memorable. See you next time!
Are you interested in events and services to help further your career goals?
If so, PLEASE: We would love to hear your opinion on what we should do! By clicking on this link, you can take a short three-minute survey that will help us better understand your needs. It does not matter if you attended the job fair or not. (Note: If you took the survey at the job fair, there is no need to retake it. And just in case you’re wondering, the movie vouchers given as raffle prize have now been picked up by the three winners.)